Quick Facts about the Municipality of Kauswagan
This chapter presents the basic statistical facts and figures about Kauswagan.
Brief Historical Background
- It was formally created on April 25, 1948 by virtue of Executive Order 126 duly signed by President Manuel A. Roxas;
- It was originally named KIADALICANAN meaning “Bend “ by Maranao inhabitants;
- Later on become DALICANAN then finally KAUSWAGAN which means IMPROVEMENT or PROGRESS;
LOCATION AND AREA
- Kauswagan is the second coastal municipality of the Province of Lanao del Norte located near the Southern boundary;
- It lies on the mid-central portion of the Northwestern Mindanao coastline with a nautical grid coordinate off 8*deg 12” longitude and 124 deg.. 5” east latitude. It is located twenty (20) kilometers away from Iligan City; bounded on the North by Iligan Bay; on the East by larapan River, which is the common bondary with the Municipality of Linamon; on the Ssouth by the Municipality of Poona Piaagapo and on the West by the Municipality of Bacolod wwithRupagan River as the common boundary.
- It has a total land area of 6,037.5929 hectares representing 2.0 % of the province’s total land area.It covers thirteen (13) barangays namely; Poblacion, bagumbayan, baraason, CAyontor, Delabayannn, Inudaran, kawit Occidental, kawit Oriental, Libertad, Paiton, Tacub, Tingintingin, and Tugar.. Of all these barangays, Paiton, tacub and Baraason, recorded with the largest land areas corresponding to 846.6421, and 641.5434 hectares respectively.
Figure 1.Location Map of Kauswagan. Base map from Comprehensive Land use Plan 2000.
- It is characterized by flat to moderately rolling terrains and scattered small hills. From the coastline, land surface gradually slopes upwards. The Poblacion, together with other barangays situated along the coastline of Iligan Bay, has elevations ranging from three (3) to seven (7) meters. The Southern portion of the municipality is hilly and densely vegetated. It is almost entirely planted to coconut up to a maximum elevation of 100 meters above sea level.
CLIMATE AND RAINFALL
- The prevailing type of climate in Kauswagan falls within the fourth type which is characterized by a more or less even distribution of rainfall throughout the year, thus providing sufficient soil moisture for growing agricultural and commercial crops.
- The annual average rainfall as recorded by PAG-ASA is 127.76 millimetres, while the average number of rainy days are 201. Its average annual humidity is about 81.24 percent. Rainfall ranges from as slow as 72.39 millimetres and 74.93 millimetres for the months of March and January, respectively to as high as 381.51 in May.
- During summer, prevailing wind, the so-called Northwest monsoon, come from the north. Typhoons very seldom visit the area, since small mountains and hills protect it, and basically the municipality is located outside typhoon belt.
Population and Demographic Profile
POPULATION COUNT AND TREND
- Kauswagan has thirteen (13) barangays and of its current total population of 23,087 as of July 2007 Census of Population Official Report conducted by the National Statistics Office, barangay Poblacion recorded the highest population of 4,456 giving a share of nearly 20%. This is followed by barangays Libertad, Tacub and Bagumbayan with population of more than and almost 3,000 each representing, more than 12% to almost 14% shares. The nine other barangays posted an average bottom population of 707 and less with Paiton registering the lowest at 638 which is barely 2.76 % of the total;
- It has only two barangays which is currently classified as its urban area, the Poblacion and Bagumbayan. Out of the current total population of the municipality, population in the urban area is only7,640 constituting33.09% of the total population and the rest are considered rural population as of year 2007.
- the males that totalled 12,815 or 55.52% outnumbered the females that numbered 10,272 or 44.49% out of the municipality’s 23,087 total population. Compared to the male-female distribution in 2005, the latest Survey posted a relatively similar results in percentage share of the males and females. Indeed the sex ratio for 2007 is placed at 125 males per 100 females.
Kauswagan’s current population belonging to the
broad age group of 0-14 years is 9,382 or
40.64% of total. The productive age group
of 15-64 years comprised 12,911 or 55.92 %,
while the oldest age group of 85 years and above
is 51 or 0.22 %;
- has greater population in the younger age
bracket particularly on age groups 5-9 with
3,415 or 14.79% share, followed by 0-4 and
10-14 with percent contribution of 14.28 % and
11.65 %, respectively. While age groups
with least population are noted in the older
population like 85 and over, 80-84, 75-79,
70-74 and 65-69 with their respective share
of 0.22 %, 0.28%, 0.54 %, 0.96 % and 1.36 %.
- the municipality of Kauswagan has a favourable population density. As of year 2007 , it only posted a gross density of 3.82 persons per hectare, a little bit increase since 2005 which was 3.53.
- The most dominant ethnic group, with 14,290 population constituting 77.181% of total, is the Cebuano since they are the pioneer settlers in the Municipality. This is followed by the Maranao being the inhabitants of the place and the Boholano, the second settlers in the town, with populations of 3,918 or 20.655% and 246 or 0.643% respectively.
- It is a predominantly Christian Community having 19,803 or 85.78 % of its total population. These Christian populace are belonging to the Roman Catholic Church which has numerous followers constituting 12,813 or 68.47% and various protestants religions like the Aglipay, IglesianiKristo, United Church of Christ in the Philippines, Church of Christ of the Latter Day Saints, Jehovas Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist, Assemblies of God, different Baptist Congrations, Philippine Benovolent Missionaries, Salvation Army of the Philippines, Alliance of Bible Christian Committee and other Evangelical Churches which summing up all together, constitute 32.28 % of the total Population of the Municipality.
- Currently, the municipality of Kauswagan has a favorable population density. As of year 2007 , it only posted a gross density of 3.82 persons per hectare, a little bit increase since 2005 which was 3.53. In the urban areas or the Poblacion and Bagumbayan, although Bagumbayan reached a density of 6.09 and 7.88 persons per hectare in 2005 and 2007, respectively, is still within the bracket of area with low population density. While in the rural areas which composed of all barangays outside Poblacion and Bagumbayan having an aggregate land area of 5,591.9239 hectares has likewise posted a very low gross population density compared to the urban areas. With its total population of 21,327 in 2005, the rural population density in the municipality is only 3.53 persons per hectare and increased slightly to 3.82 with its total population of 15,448 in 2007.
MOTHER TONGUE AND RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION
- It has been observed that Kauswagan is
a predominantly Christian Community
having 19,803 or 85.78 % of its total
population. These Christian populace are
belonging to the Roman Catholic Church
which has numerous followers constituting 12,813 or 68.47% and various protestants religions like the Aglipay, IglesianiKristo,
United Church of Christ in the Philippines,
Church of Christ of the Latter Day Saints, Jehovas Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist, Assemblies of God, different Baptist
Congregations, Philippine Benevolent
Missionaries, Salvation Army of the
Philippines, Alliance of Bible Christian
Committee and other Evangelical Churches
which summing up all together, constitute
32.28 % of the total Population of the
Municipality. On the other hand, only
3,284 or 16.54% are Muslims who are devoted Followers of Islam, while 254 or 0..03 % falls under the category of other religions not specifically stated.
- Large migration of population is noticeably quantified in the four (4) interior barangays which has an average 14.28% annual growth rate. This is happened because of the questionable results of Census 2000 in the said barangays which was declared zero population by the Census Supervisors and legally protested by the respective Local Officials of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte while the remaining two (2) interior barangay which is Barangays Baraason and Tingintingin had recorded about 4.65% and 18.85% respectively. There are also about two (2) coastal barangays who recorded a negative annual growth rate which are Barangays Kawit Oriental and Poblacion. The in-migration rate is computed 27.63% in the year 2002 and decreases to 6.99% in the year 2007. This means that there a lot of in-migration in between 2000 – 2005 and only a meager migration between 2006 – 2007.
The Municipality of Kauswaganhas fifteen (15)
Pre-schools namely : SMART Kids School, Eustiquio
Oliverio Memorial School, Libertad Day Care Center,
Tacub Day Care Center, Bagumbayan Day Care
Center I, Bagumbayan Day Care Center II, Poblacion
Day Care Center, Tugar Day Care Center, Kawit
Oriental Day Care Center, Kawit Occidental
Day Care Center, Inudaran Day Care Center, Delabayan
Day Care Center, Cayontor Day Care Center, Baraason
Day Care Center and Tingintingin Day Care Center; nine
(9) elementary schools namely : Kauswagan Central
Elementary School, Libertad Elementary School, Tacub
Elementary School, Tugar Elementary School, Kawit
Oriental ElementarySchool, Jose BalazoElementary
School, Kawit Occidental Elementary School, Sultan DimasangkayMananggolo Memorial Elementary School, and Baraason Elementary School; two (2) Secondary Schools namely St. Vincent’s Academy located at Barangay Poblacion& Marcela T. Mabanta Memorial National High School located at Barangay Libertad and existing four primary schools are : Cayontor Primary School, Upper Tugar Primary School, Paiton Primary School and Tingintingin Primary School.
- Current enrollment for school year 2008-2009 of said schools recorded to 365 with 16, teachers, 3,640 with 103 teachers, 1010 with 34 teachers and 176 with 5 teachers for Pre-school, elementary, secondary and primary schools showing a ratio of one teacher per 23 pupils, 1 teacher per 33 pupils, 1 teacher per 30 students and 1 teacher per 35 pupils, respectively. The average ration in all school levels is approximately 1 : 30 conforming the standards ratio of 1 teacher per 30 to 45 pupils.
- The total school population for SY 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 is recorded at 6,172 and 6,057, respectively from the school age of 3-6, 7-14 and 13-16 which has a population of 420, 3,674 and 1,104, respectively. Out of the in-school population, there are 265 or 4.29% for SY 2007-2008 and 183 or 3.02% for SY 2008-2009. The total literacy rate is 95.71 and 96.99 for SY 2007-2008 and SY 2008-2009. See tables 36 and 37 for detailed information
- The Municipality of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte had only one (1) hospital popularly known as the KauswaganDistrict Hospital administered by the Provincial Government of Lanao del Norte. The hospital is manned with 4 Doctors; 4 Nurses, 1 Midwife and 1 Med. Tech. having a patients facility of 11 rooms and 10 beds.the LGU had seven (7) operated Barangay Health Stations located at respective barangays having a manpower of 1 Doctor; 1 Rural Health Nurse; 7 Midwives with 5 rooms located at the Municipal Health Center of Barangay Poblacion but not in-patient beds;
- The municipality has recorded as of 2009 cases of mortality with top ten leading causes recorded about 64 persons accounting to 0.27 % of the Municipality’s total population of 23,383 inhabitants while most causes of mortality is PTB diseases and most population suffered Acute Bronchitis;
- Ten Leading Causes of Mortality, 2009-2010
- On Nutritional statistics, the municipality had conducted evaluation and diagnosing cases of malnutrition of children below 1 year old and 1 – 5 years old by weighing in consideration of children standard weights of respective ages. About 44.67% of the total covered children population are weighted by the Barangay Health Workers with close supervision of the Municipal Health Office Personnel;
- The National Family Planning Campaign of the National Government is seriously promoted by the Local Government Unit of Kauswagan through the Municipal Health Office. With the Family Planning Counseling undertaken by the office applicants for marriage license are oriented with the natural and scientific method of birth control. Most of the advocated birth control approaches are the scientific methods such as : pills, IUD and DMPA.
HOUSING & BASIC UTILITIES
- The Municipality of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte has recorded a total existing houses of 4,053 for the year 2007. Majority of these houses are constructed with light materials which has accounted to 1,547 followed by a makeshift structures of 1,304. Said figures means that there are about 432 or 10.65% households who had not yet acquired their own houses. Most households living in the makeshift houses are found in Barangays Poblacion (215), Libertad (160), Bagumbayan (157), Delabayan (155), and Baraason (122).
- The Municipality of Kauswagan is currently provided with twenty (20) regular PNP Personnel stationed at the Kauswagan Municipal Police Station located at Municipal Hall Compound, Poblacion, Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte. They are assigned to various assignments such as the Station Command; Administrative Section; Operation Section; Traffic Section; Market Section; Station & Jail Section; Security to the Mayor; Detail Services; Communication Section; Intelligence & Investigation Section and Alert Team.
- Considering the Police Force – Population Ration, the locality did not met even the minimum ratio of 1: 1,000 because in reality we had a 1: 1,154 ratio. For the last three (3) years there are only petty crimes / offenses perpetrated by lawless elements in the locality.
STRUCTURE OF ECONOMY
- The Municipality of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte has suited the three (3) Sectoral Economic Activity such as the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary though are equally distributed to the employed residents. It shows that the Primary Sector has a great number of employed constituting 44.00% followed by the Tertiary Sector which has 33.00% and lesser to Secondary Sector which has only 23.00% (refer to table 53). Comparing the 2007 and 2009 employment sharing for the 3 Economic Sector resulted a Shift Points of 0.00% meaning there are balanced shifting between the 3 sectors.
TRADE, COMMERCE AND SERVICES
- The Tertiary Sector is composed Wholesale / Retail Trade; Transportation, Storage and Communication; Community, Social and Personal Services; and Finance / Insurance / Real State& Business. The local labor force are employed to Wholesale / Retail & Trade (171); Transportation, Storage & communication (93); Community, Social and Personal Services (168); and Finance / Insurance / Real Estate & Business (171).
- There are about 5,313.0818 hectares or more or less 88.00% of the municipal total land area are devoted to agricultural developments specially crop productions. Currently, the municipality is embarking only a Permanent Crops with specific planted areas such as : Coconut ( 4,588.5707 has. ); Lowland Fruit Trees ( 130.0000 has.); Banana (130.3000 has.); Other crops (464.2111 has.). Seasonal Crops is very much rear to the municipality because it is observed non-profitable for farmers.
- There are a total of 4,694 heads of livestock and poultry animals in the locality as of year 2009. The large number of such belongs to the chicken which has 2,553 heads followed by hogs / swine which has 906 heads. Comparatively, in the succeeding 3 years 2007 is observed to have high animal population while 2008 is much lesser compared to 2009 (refer to table 56). Greater number of animal distribution is observed in the rural barangays in the coastal areas such as Tugar, KawitOriental,Tacub, Libertad and Kawit Occidental while the urban Barangays of Poblacion and Bagumbayan only got higher animal population for hog / swine).
- Kauswagan is sprawled along the coast of Iligan Bay, because of strategic location, Kauswagan is one of the Fish and other aquamarine suppliers of the province of Lanao del Norte. Sources of marine products are the water of the Bay. Existing swamplands/marshlands are only 18.9970 hectares accounting to only 0.31 percent of the total Municipal areas which is 6,037.5929 hectares. Although, Kauswagan might play the vital role of fish and marine supplier-production, still fishery activities could not even sustain its local consumption requirement. As of 2009, there are twelve (12) fisherman’s association/BantayDagat 3 in Poblacion, 2 in Bagumbayan, 1-in Kawit Oriental, 1-in Kawit Occidental, 2-in Libertad and 3-in Tacub with a total of 421 members. Fishing is in Water 10-15 fathoms depths. Fishery activities in the municipality are limited to non-commercial domestic fishing gears such as artificial reef with two types of module- 1.) Bamboo Module and 2.) Fish Shelter (Payao). Other fishing activities are Fishing Nets, Spear Fishing and Hook and Line fishing which is usually undertaken by marginal fishermen. The existing fishing ground of the municipality is 1,985.88 hectares subdivided by the seven (7) coastal Barangays of Libertad (283.98 has.); Tacub (283.39 has.); Bagumbayan ( 284.18 has.); Poblacion ( 291.92 has.); Tugar ( 280.21 has.); Kawit Oriental ( 281.00 has.); and Kawit Occidental ( 281.20 has.) see table 61. Of the said fishing ground the top ten products catched in the year 2009 are Alimango, Squid, Labayan, Tamban, Mulmol, Danggit, Barungoy, Bugsawan, Gutob and Sambagon with estimmated average annual fish catched of 197.83 metric tons.
- There are a meager small scale Manufacturing activities situated at the urban barangays of Poblacion (3) andBagumbayan (2) which are usually furniture and tinsmith manufacturing. Employment are limited to family members or self-employment in nature.
- There existing beach resorts in the municipality but all are under-develop and for domestic consumption only. There are other tourism potentials but needs to be develop or enhancement. The Municipal Tourism Council is in the process of formation and organization.
Infrastructure and Physical Development
ROADS AND BRIDGES
- The Municipalityof Kauswagan, LanaodelNorte has one (1) National Road; two (2) Provincial Road; twenty-five (25) Barangay Roads; eight (8) Municipal Streets; and four (4) Foot Roads. Both roads has a total length of 132.8870 kilometers with combined pavement of concrete (20.1000 km.); Asphalt (2.3100 km.); Gravel (84.21000 k..m.); and Earth (25.2500 km.).
- The are five (5) identified existing Bridges in the municipality. Four (4) of such are administered by the National Government and one (1) by the Municipal Government. Presently this bridges has fair to good condition except the Libertad Bridge which has minor damages in its flooring.
- Transportation and mobility of Kauswagan is provided by transport companies like the Mindanao Rural Trasnsport Inc. (MRTI) anf Super Five Transport Company for the Buses; Iligan – Kauswagan Drivers / Operators Association for the Public Utility Vehicles and Kauswagan Tricycle Operators and Drivers Association (KATRODA) for the tricycles. Buses are bound from Iligan City to Zamboanga and Dipolog Cities and vice-versa ; bound from Iligan City to Kauswagan and vice-versa for the Public Utility Jeepneys and bound within the territorial jurisdiction of Kauswagan for tricycles.
- There are more or less four (4) communication company operating in Kauswagan with facilities installed mostly in Barangay Poblacion such as Smart, Globe PLDT and Mobiline. Towers are situated in strategic areas of Poblacion.
- There are about 3,950 households or 87.08% of total households have access to Potable Water. Most of the Main Source of Water are from spring and well distributed through communal used. There are also water distribution through the Kauswagan Water District with Level III water systems specially in the coastal areas.
- Electricity of the locality is provided by the Lanao del Norte Electric Cooperative ( LANECO ). Presently, there is still one barangay of the municipality which is not served with electricity which is Barangay Inudaran. There are around 3,939 constituting 86.84% out of 4,536 household are already served with electricity for the twelve (12) barangays of the municipality.
SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT
- The municipality has an estimated waste generation of 1 metric ton per week per Municipal Engineering Office rough estimates. Approximately 60% of the total waste generated of the Municipality of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte came from barangays Poblacion and Bagumbayan since this is the considered urban barangays of the municipality and the remaining 40% mostly contributed by the other coastal barangays. The interior barangays are not included in the estimated waste generation because garbage collection is not available in such barangays. Major wastes generated came from the Kauswagan Public Market where commercial activities are concentrated. A mixed biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes are commonly the generated waste as residues of the active commercial activities of the coastal barangays. This kinds of wastes are also visible even in the household levels. Other types of wastes generated are the institutional wastes brought about by various major Government Institutions located in the coastal barangays. However, agricultural wastes are most visible in the interior areas of the municipality where farming is the leading livelihood activities.
- The Municipality had already established systems on Wastes handling, storage and processing brought about by massive education campaign provided by the Education Committee of the Integrated Solid Waste Management Program ( ISWMP ) of the Local Government Unit of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte. Garbage Receptacles are already available in the commercial and institutional establishments and puroks of the barangays most specifically in the coastal areas. In the interior areas, there are also indigenous designed receptacles situated in the strategic places where people used to converged. The households are also allocated containers for their household residues.
- The collection and transport of Waste generated in the municipality is shouldered by the Municipal Government as part of the Integrated Solid Waste Management Program who utilizes a 1 unit Heavy Duty Dump Truck for Garbage Collection through active involvement by the Municipal Engineering Office Personnel. Recently, the Collection Services has temporarily suspended due to the unavailable dumping site but it is later on re-activated after the completion of the Material Recovery Facility construction.
- There are limited practices available on Resource Recovery in the municipality. Most of them are the Reuse, Refuse and Composting practices. Reuse for those non-biodegradable wastes such as cellophanes and other packing materials, refuse for the household left-overs which are usually serves as feeds for the domestic pets, and composting for biodegradable wastes specially agricultural waste which are transformed into fertilizers. With the availability of the Material Recovery Facility processing and resource recovery are organized in one venue, the MRF.
- The generated solid wastes is segregated in the collection process and transported into the MRF where segregated solid wastes are placed in its assigned segregated room in the MRF building specially the reusables and recyclables. The bio-degradable waste are placed in the compost pit and the remaining wastes are dump into the dumping area within the MRF perimeter.
- Kauswagan has a total of 13 barangays of varying sizes. In terms of population, Paiton is the smallest with 638 inhabitants as of 2007 while Poblacion is the largest with 4,456. In terms of land area, Poblacion is the smallest with 41.8025 hectares while Paiton is the biggest with 846.6421 hectares. Poblacion is also the most dense at 107 persons per hectare while Paiton and Inudaran are the least dense at only 1 person per hectare.
- More than 63 years after it was created a chartered municipality, the Municipal Government of Kauswagan has conform the Republic Act 7160, Otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991 absorbing offices devolved to the Local Government Units. Recently, the LGU had already 15 departments/offices . • As of July 2011, the municipal government has more or less 160 employees, distributed into 11 elective (6.88%), 89 permanent (55.63%), 20 job orders employee (12.50%), 10 volunteers (6.25%).,This translates to roughly one employee per 144 population. In terms of educational qualification, 10% have masteral/law degrees, 75% graduated from college, 5 % are college undergraduates, 8% finished vocational courses,5% finished high school, and 2% are elementary graduates.
LOCAL GOVERNANCE INNOVATIONS
- Kauswagan was always became the armed conflict prone area in Mindanao brought about by insurgent groups in the last decades now. In the incumbency of the present administration, people now fell they are liberated from bondage of not only dreads from armed assaults but rather the essence of development in the locality indicated by favorable living conditions in the area. With the Sustainable Integrated Kauswagan Area Development and Peace Agenda ( SIKAD PA ) framework of development undertakings of the Local Government Unit local populace able to transform gradually their dreams into reality in a collaborative efforts.
- The Municipal Treasury Office is the prime responsible in Revenue Collections of the municipality. The Municipal Economic Enterprise and Development Office (MEEDO) was created purposely to augment income generation mechanisms of the LGU but they are bonded to collection processes. There is formed Local Finance Committee tasked to plan, enforce and administered the Fiscal Management and Operation.
- The LGU financial status for the past three (3) years is observed profitable because every year as reflected in the Pre & Post Closing Trial Balance provided by the Municipal Accounting Office there is always an ending balance and increasing every year from 2007 – 2009. The present administration Financial Performance recorded almost doubled the previous increases,
- For the past three (3) years LGU – Kauswagan experienced a declining fiscal autonomy. It is obtained in the computation of collection rate of the Locally Generated Revenues in all sources. Percentage collection is 6.80% for 2007; 4.56% for 2008 and 3.94% for 2009 of respective total income per year. Concludedly, the LGU is still an IRA dependent to minimum of 90% rate and just recently reduce to about more or less 60 % per report year 2010.